Thursday, May 13, 2010

New Poems by Zach Savich


From "The Mountains Overhead"


1.

I sang: Tell me of the heart which exists

in which to continue is not

to confine

2.

Then dreamed I sang so loudly, I woke

myself singing

The cygnets' feet were lost in snow

The cygnets were lovely because footless

3.

Our augurs read their veils

What's sensible isn't seizeable, you said, waking

5.

You may only sing to dedicate a song

6.

You may hang your dresses on the back-

yard's line and you may rest here

You may work in a mine where you see yourself in

the rock and every day remove a piece

as large as your body 
 


8.

To bring you to this:

We row out now over the lake where stars are

these muscles sobbing makes

Slashed across nightsky like bones

in owl droppings

9.

Star exhaust

Have fun, we said for goodbye

11.

Literally: to found meaning

to founder

Every pause, a cause

Every bow, a vow

At each footfall, landfall 
 


16.

I sang: You would love it here, because I'm here

You sang: My cheek is softer where it touched your neck

I sang: I will hold you like it is enough

for a singer to hold a single word

You sang: Don't you always hold the door an extra second,

hoping?

Did you say something?

18.

I walked home—you can see it in my eyes

23.

When the lake froze, I crossed it

To a shore closest in the coldest

24.

Can't say to land: think of me

Or: you held me in place, in places 
 


30.

Singing: And here you are coming toward me

Everything nearing, blooms

Water cold enough to cut

I could go on

31.

As though the end of harvest were not

farthest from harvest

As though reunion were not so close to ruin

36.

Dawn in the clouds like gold in a tooth 
 


40.

Then a man we saw at the dance club dressed all

in white and carrying an orange

42.

I could see by your look

43.

I wanted a gentle way of waking you, so I let

So I let a tissue

sift to your face…


46.

Be how you were, be how you were

I mean more 
 


50.

Or needing to break one's mast on the bridge or

go back to the burning dock

The mast changed to a gnarled desert tree

Sail lifted to a gull 
 
 


53.

Afternoons, we watched the benign gags

of silent films…

54.

I drew your picture by holding

my brush over a shaking tray 
 


58.

If the road is shaped like an S,

you know there were mountains 
 


61.

And there is a tribe that carries water for months

in their cheeks, their cheeks

hanging to their bellies and they never swallow

63.

Recall: I bent my brow

to the back's small 
 
 


69.

Walking, so aware we were touching

Thistle

Granitescape

To leave being to meet

71.

The creek bed frosted like it isn't dry

The pump in the lawn, a lean dancer

Glove in the road,

sunning lizard

Day diving at me like the winking of a smoke detector's light

Once a minute

I remember love 
 


75.

Sang: Tell me a secret I don't know I have

76.

So I spend a week here, have been carrying

a Thing so precious any touch dissolves it, but to prove

its worth, meaning, destroy it, now, I need

to go on, so I

hold it against you

78.

We may rest here 
 


81.

Be how you were, be how you were

82.

Then cut me so I unfold like the sky between

leaves into a string of paper dolls either

holding hands

88.

The dog has worn a circle around its post bare, chain

a clock hand

It is not our dog, we release it 
 


91.

Dandelions miners' headlamps

92.

I sang: What is love to a fault?

95.

Then second: can the metal melt?

100.

Snow coming now like tissue after tissue from a box 
 


102.

The plane never lands

104.

Or not draw a small V as though a gull seen

from a distance or a migration

of geese every time

through the day I think of you every

minute 
 
 


108.

Sang: Outlast this song


Zach Savich's first book, Full Catastrophe Living, won the 2008 Iowa Poetry Prize and received a New American Poet honor from the Poetry Society of America. His second book, Annulments, won the most recent Colorado Prize for Poetry and will be published by the Center for Literary Publishing in November of 2010. His poems, essays, and book reviews have appeared in many journals, including Boston Review, Kenyon Review, A Public Space, Denver Quarterly, and Pleiades. A recipient of a BA from the University of Washington and an MFA from the University of Iowa Writers' Workshop, Savich has lived and taught in Italy, France, New Zealand, and around the US. He currently teaches and studies at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where he helps organize the jubilat/Jones Reading Series.