Saturday, September 19, 2009

Three Poems by Brooks Winchell

Out of There

I barely lifted a finger.

It seemed so

right there

(being with everyone),

and I never considered

being gone.

However, looking back now,

I clearly see

there was an emptiness.


What Is To Come

As there are so many possibilities,

we are all, arguably,

concerned at first with what’s

out of the question:

How likely is that to come? 



Arriving at the End (I Suspect)

I will never be there,

or I absolutely

would have arrived earlier:

Certainly, that time is past,

but as you can see,

I am still continuing.


Brooks Winchell lives in Boxford, Massachusetts with his wife, Meredith, and their new daughter, Ella. He received an MA in English from UMass Boston and an MFA from Lesley University. Currently, he teaches literature and writing at Suffolk University and writing at Cambridge College.